Council Meeting Jan 09, 2020
I attended a council meeting planning session (Jan 09, 2020) that was run by the CAO Ken Kelly. The objective of the meeting was to develop/identify/prioritise goals and action items. One of the deliverables may be an overall vision statement.
This meeting is one step in a process that is evolving from meeting to meeting. At this stage they seem to be “kicking around” ideas. So, as you read this, keep in mind that things will change.
Council is essentially a new team and is going through Tuckmans’s stages of group development. There are four steps for team development: forming, storming, norming and performing. Our council, our team, is at the forming stage.
The CAO did an excellent job. The team was cooperative and there was not even a hint of dissension. CAO Kelly created an environment where all voices were given an equal chance.
The bottom line for me: I feel we are headed in the right direction. CAO Kelly is providing the team the tools they need to get to the next stage. I left the 2.5 hour meeting with an optimistic feeling about our future.
What follows are the points I took away.
- “What gets measured gets managed” - this seems to be a bit of dogma that the team accepts. At this stage, this is fine. Hopefully at later stages when creativity enters into the equation, this principle will be revisited
- County vs municipality issues keep coming up
- Broadband (high speed internet) is an issue. There is recognition that this is important for economic growth but no concrete suggestion other than actively advocating for broadband. A good start for sure
- A huge positive for me was when it was stated that “respect for the environment should be one of our pillars”
- Another interesting suggestion was: “we should score every decision (Perth does this)”. I am assuming that this would mean that every council decision would get a score on how well it aligns with stated objectives. This sounds brilliant to me - it is a built-in feedback loop integrated into the process. Performance analysis happens automatically if we follow this process.